Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Famous Question: To Be or Not to Be?



I found it quite interesting to watch how different directors portrayed the "to be or not to be" scene. In both clips, Hamlet appears in deep thought, and almost at war with himself. However, in the first clip, Hamlet comes off as quizzical, and quiet, since his voice is softer, and he is talking to his reflection in the mirror. It almost seems like he is plotting something, and I couldn't really figure out what his emotions were. Also, I found it interesting how the director had Ophelia, Claudius, and Polonius all listening into the conversation. In the second clip, Hamlet really comes off as frustrated. I feel like the director had him focusing on life in general since he was walking around a tomb like area (I'm guessing his father's grave). Hamlet conversation is more private than in the first clip, and therefore, I feel like he better portrays his emotions. Overall, I liked the second clip better.

1 comment:

  1. Charlotte,
    I agree with your assessment, in that I believe that the second clip is most definitely better than the first. Watching the first clip, I was mostly disinterested in the performance because I found the actor's portrayal of Hamlet to be emotionally stagnant. Just like in one of the clips in my blog, I felt as though the actor was disconnected from the true impetus behind the speech; fear, and that the use of the over stimulating visuals (the weird mirror that Claudius is behind, etc.) takes away from the raw emotion in the speech. However, I did not find the use of the graveyard to be harmful to the actor's speech in the slightest, just as you did. However, while I believe Hamlet was portrayed as frustrated, I think he was just as hopeless as frustrated and angry which, for me, added an interesting dimension to the piece. Something that is interesting to consider is why the use of the graveyard added to the scene's emotional value and why the mirror took emotional power away. It may be because Hamlet was alone, as you mentioned, but also it could be because a graveyard is closer to what we observe Hamlet visualizing and obsessing over throughout the play; his mortality.

    ReplyDelete