Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Reflection Time: My Choice


My Choice Reflection
            Ender Ady really captivated me with his poem “I Should Love to be Loved” with his style of writing. He is able to distinguish his character’s relationship with others from the very beginning of the poem by saying, “I am neither infant nor happy grandfather
/ Nor parent, nor lover
/ Of anyone, of anyone” (1-3). I really liked how he casually eliminated relationships that his character could have in each line at the beginning of the poem. By taking away these basic relationships, Endre Ady’s character appears alone, and lost.
Further portraying Endre Ady’s character as lost, Endre Ady repeats himself twice at the each of each stanza. At the end of the poem, the character says, “I wish to be of someone, I wish to be of / someone,” which not only sounds like an echo, but also a desperate call to find someone who will care about him. Since he has no one, Endre Ady’s character just wants to find someone who will show the slightest bit of interest in him because he wants to be finally noticed.
Finally, throughout the entire poem, Endre Ady has his character desperately try and be noticed by those who are around him. He says, “I should like to show myself to the world, /
So that someone sees me, so that someone sees me. / This is why I sing and I torment myself” (9-11). Endre Ady has his character make obvious cries for attention because he wants the reader to get how desperate his character is to be noticed, and how he is done living his currently lonely lifestyle. Endre Ady displays his character’s entire life by using different writing styles such as repeating himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment