Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Plastic

I am a high school student who currently enjoys horseback riding, the beach, and reading. Throughout my blog, I will be focusing on the connections I share with various characters in the assignments I read. My favorite text from the summer is "Barbie Doll" by Marge Piercy. I could really relate to the pressure the main character feels from society to be the "perfect" girl. It really shows how the comments people make really do affect someone, so I wasn't too surprised when the girl killed herself at the end. However, I was angered when at her funeral everyone said, "doesn't she look pretty?" The irony was quite upsetting. No one thought she was pretty while she was alive, or even valued her good qualities. All they saw was "a fat nose on thick legs." Lots of girls face the fear of being judged, and always find something wrong with their appearance instead of embracing all the wonderful qualities they possess. Like the girl in "Barbie Doll," all girls face the pressure to want to be considered beautiful, and be accepted by the people around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment